Sunday, May 16, 2010

Urban Standard

Birmingham, AL
$6-$9 Entrees

Located in the recently gentrified 2nd Avenue North area of downtown Birmingham is a trendy confection of a restaurant. Urban Standard is more than a restaurant, however. The vintage art, lamps, furniture, and maps this cafe sells make the atmosphere captivating. Cleverly restructured antique, household items line the original, interior brick walls. These walls rise to meet a high ceiling, lending each conversation a pleasant echo.

The routine is informal. Order with the taciturn waiter at the counter, and have a seat. Your meal will be brought to you in a timely manner. The Grilled Chicken Panino (when I read the rare, but correct singular spelling of this word, I heard a faint Hallelujah chorus) features Tanglewood Farms (read: all natural) chicken breast, smoked bacon, caramelized onion, and goat cheese. It comes with balsamic jam, which tastes of grape and vinegar, two flavors I would not have thought would compliment each other so well. The panino was grilled and crispy and creamy in the middle. Yum. It came with a side of marinated broccoli, which was sweet and slightly steamed.

I also had the Roasted Fennel Salad. I love to try new things, but somehow, had escaped the distinctive ingredient of fennel throughout my life. I decided to taste it. It was, as advertised, roasted, with the internal consistency of baked eggplant, the external appearance of artichoke hearts, and a black licorice aftertaste. I thought, "I don't like it. Wait, yes I do. Wait, no I don't." But I couldn't stop eating it, as it instilled a sort of fascination. The rest of the salad was decidedly delicious, with mixed greens, pine nuts, and goat cheese (can you tell I like goat cheese?). It was served with honey lemon vinaigrette, complete with a Dijon piquancy.

Dessert consisted of a lovely latte with an average scone. However, the lemon creme fraiche elevated the humble cinnamon scone to new heights of gastronomical ecstasy. I was ever so pleased with it. I was ever so pleased with the final price tag, too.

4 Kudzu



No comments:

Post a Comment