Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Amerigo Italian Restaurant

Jackson, MS
$12-$25 Entrees


Thus far, I have only reviewed single-location restaurants. Today, I must make an exception. I can do this because ... well, it's my blog. However, I will review the first of the four Amerigo Italian Restaurants. The original is located in Jackson, Mississippi (the other three are in Memphis, Brentwood, and Nashville, TN). Jackson is also the location of my alma mater, Millsaps College. While in school, I dated a guy whose favorite restaurant was Amerigo. While our relationship did not last, my relazione sentimentale with Amerigo did.


Amerigo has a relaxing, elegant atmosphere created by dark wood, white tablecloths, and black and white tiled floors echoing the black pants and white shirts attiring the wait staff. A red awning, one of the few splashes of color, adorns the kitchen area. Diners consider their menu options to the sound of jazz piano music, while enjoying asiago focaccia bread accompanied by olive oil with fresh herbs. In short, it is romantic.


One may order from the dinner or lunch menu at lunch time. I started with the Prince Edward Island mussels (L.M. Montgomery fan that I am). Beautifully presented, with a flavor as sweet and delicate as the tiny forks with which they were served, I simply closed my eyes in ecstacy and enjoyed the religious experience, leaving the opalescent shells behind. This was followed by the goat cheese and walnut salad, complete with red onions and roasted red peppers. Divine. I then partook of the pan-roasted veal piccata. The veal was topped with lump crab meat and served over angel hair pasta with a white wine lemon butter sauce accented with fresh mushrooms and capers. Perfect.

Amerigo has the excellent, professional service one would expect from a white tablecloth restaurant with surprisingly reasonable prices. With a full bar, an excellent wine list, a children's menu, and to-die-for desserts, Amerigo has something for everyone. You will enter with high expectations and will leave ... replete.


5 Kudzu

4 comments: